Over the years I realized that the best pasta dishes I’ve made were the ones where I didn’t have to use a recipe. Once I’ve learned the 4 basic steps, it becomes easy to experiment with different kinds of ingredients and flavours.
Step 1. Sauté garlic and onions (if using both).
Step 2. Add wine (I use white all the time).
Step 3. Add the remaining ingredients, including the sauce (tomato-based or cream or just plain pasta water).
Step 4. Garnish with herbs or cheese or anything you can think of.
I love, love chicken sausage, whether fried in the pan, roasted on the grill or over fire while warming up in front of the fireplace during cold, rainy nights. It gave my home-made tomato sauce an extra boost so I’m going to make this again and again and never get tired of it.
Spaghetti with chicken sausages and rosemary-flavoured cherry tomatoes
- 1-2 tablespoons heat-resistant olive oil
- 6 chicken sausages, skin removed then sliced
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves roughly chopped
- 2 small white onions or equivalent amount of leeks, sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic
- glug of inexpensive sweet white wine
- home-made tomato sauce ala Marcella Hazan
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fry sausages in oil over medium heat. Set aside.
- Using remaining oil in the pan, cook the cherry tomatoes with rosemary, salt and pepper until wrinkly but not soggy. Set aside.
- Add more oil if needed to sauté garlic and onion (I used leeks).
- Add white wine and simmer until reduced in half.
- Add the sausages and tomato sauce. Continue to simmer over low heat until you can taste the incredibly yummy chicken sausage flavour in the sauce.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn off heat and add the cherry tomatoes.
- Garnish with rosemary.
June 22nd, 2014 at 11:45 PM
Looks yummy to me, except the chicken, of course 🙂
July 12th, 2014 at 8:44 PM
Thanks for stopping by, Ate Els!
June 23rd, 2014 at 3:43 AM
This looks delicious and now I have found another way to prepare chicken sausage.
July 12th, 2014 at 8:46 PM
Hi Jovina, looking forward to your post on different ways to use chicken sausage!
June 23rd, 2014 at 5:02 AM
This looks fantastic Dolly- I love chicken sausage as well, so I’m sure I would love this dish. Thanks for sharing 🙂
July 12th, 2014 at 8:48 PM
Thank you, Jess. So I’m not the only one who loves chicken sausage!
June 23rd, 2014 at 6:25 AM
Looks delicious! I am so hungry now, I want that plate to become real in front of me!
July 12th, 2014 at 8:51 PM
Ha ha! I wish I could make the plate appear in front of you, Darya! Thanks for stopping by!